Love Songs for Weddings
As long as there was music, there have been love songs. And obviously, love songs make for some of the best wedding songs. For wedding songs though, we want to make sure we stick with love songs that are about being in love. We will steer clear of songs that are about breaking up or being in a stressful relationship, which may still technically be considered a “love song.”
Love Songs in History
In Ted Gioia’s 2015 book Love Songs: The Hidden History, he describes how love ballads came out of the 8th-century tunes of medieval Arab female slaves in Spain. By the 12th-century, 400 years later, European troubadours spread their songs of longing.
Modern Love Songs
In modern days, we have love songs about:
- New love from Elvis Presley and Ed Sheeran, for example
- Devotion, like in George Gershwin’s classic “Our Love Is Here To Stay” and Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You”
- Break-up songs like Taylor Swift’s “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”
- Make-up and forgiveness songs like Elton John’s “Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word”
Expressing Emotions Through Love Songs
Love songs give song writers an opportunity to use music to express their most intense longings as well as their heart’s deepest regrets. Almost every songwriter has written love songs. Love songs are a core part of 21st century music. They are still relevant at every stage of romance, from a first date to a wedding.
Our Top 10 Love Songs from the 2010’s
It has been estimated that more than 100 million love songs have been recorded. In our Top 10 Love Songs from the 2010’s list below, we will list love songs released between January 1st, 2010 through December 31st, 2019.
As musicians who play music for weddings, the ultimate commitment of love, we are asked to play a lot of love songs. Here are what we consider the top 10 from the 2010’s:
10. Ho Hey – The Lumineers (June 4, 2012) This song features the lyrics, “I belong with you, you belong with me. You’re my sweetheart”
9. Wanted – Hunter Hayes, (March 5, 2012) This song features the romantic lyrics, “When I wrap you up, When I kiss your lips, I wanna make you feel wanted, And I wanna call you mine”
8. I Won’t Give Up – Jason Mraz, (January 3, 2012 from Love Is a Four Letter Word) This song expresses his devotion with the lyrics, “I won’t give up on us, Even if the skies get rough, I’m giving you all my love, I’m still looking up”
7. A Thousand Years by Christina Perri (October 18, 2011, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 1 Soundtrack) where she sings about lasting love, saying, “Darling don’t be afraid I have loved you, For a thousand years, I’ll love you for a thousand more”
6 We Found Love by Rihanna and Calvin Harris (September 22, 2011, Talk That Talk) where she sings about finding love saying, “Yellow diamonds in the light, Now we’re standing side by side, As your shadow crosses mine, We found love”
5. Just A Kiss by Lady A (May 2, 2011, Own the Night) where she dreams about love singing, “No I don’t want to say goodnight, I know it’s time to leave, But you’ll be in my dreams, Tonight”
4. Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars (July 20, 2010, Doo-Wops & Hooligans) where he expresses his love singing, “And when you smile, The whole world stops and stares for a while, ‘Cause girl you’re amazing, Just the way you are”
3. Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not by Thompson Square (July 12, 2010) where they sing about taking a chance on love saying, ” So I took a chance, Bought a wedding band and I got down on one knee, And you smiled and said to me, “Are you gonna kiss me or not?”
2. The Only Exception by Paramore (February 17, 2010) where they sing about an only love, saying, “I’d never sing of love, If it does not exist, but darlin’, You are, the only exception”
1. God Gave Me You by Blake Shelton (January 26, 2010) where he sings about the comfort of love saying, “And for when I think I lost my way, There are no words here left to say, it’s true, God gave me you”
Love Songs with Our Signature Sound on Flute & Guitar
We can arrange almost any love song and perform it live for you at your wedding. What is your favorite love song? Let us know and we can arrange it just for you!