Broadway and movie music tend to be some of the most powerful contemporary music. With all the restrictions on gathering because of COVID-19 closing down concerts in and around the Phoenix area since the beginning of the year, our clients are starting to get creative about how to entertain their audiences.
Last week, we recorded a live video performance of movie & Broadway music for a senior community in Tempe. We have played for this community quite a few times and always have a wonderful experience with their audiences. Most of the time we play concerts in their ballroom, but we have also played Christmas music in their lobby and Valentine’s Day music for a dinner celebrating couples married for 50 or more years.
This time, it was a little different because of the pandemic and restrictions for outside entertainers. When we arrived at the gate, we had our temperatures taken before we could even enter the property. Once we were let in, we weren’t allowed to enter through the main entrance of the community. Instead, we entered through a special entrance going straight into the ballroom where we were to record.
The AV Specialist had the set-up all ready to go for us when we arrived! He had 2 side cameras placed beside our chairs on the stage and a third camera directly in front of us. Additionally, he had a mic placed at the right height for the guitar sound hole and a mic in front of the embouchure hole of the flute, where the majority of the sound is produced. Finally, a small digital recorder was put between both the flute and guitar, near the floor, to capture a mix for the two instruments.
We played the concert just as we would have if there was an audience – straight through with no breaks for an hour. Alex talked about the pieces we were about to play and described some of the background of the songs, song writers and famous singers of the songs. We played many well-known movie and Broadway musicals songs including:
- Baby Elephant Walk – Hatari!, Henry Mancini
- Edelweiss – Sound of Music, Richard Rodgers
- I Don’t Know How to Love Him – Jesus Christ Superstar, Andrew Lloyd Webber
- In Dreams – The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Howard Shore
- Lara’s Theme – Doctor Zhivago, Maurice Jarre
- Love Story – Love Story, Francis Lai
- Memory – Cats, Andrew Lloyd Webber
- Moon River – Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Henry Mancini
- Music of the Night, Phantom of the Opera, Andrew Lloyd Webber
- My Favorite Things – Sound of Music, Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein II
- My Funny Valentine – Babes in Arms, Richard Rodgers & Lorenz Hart
- Speak Softly Love – Love Theme from The Godfather, Nino Rota
- Till There Was You – The Music Man, Meredith Willson
While we really miss playing for live audiences, we’re glad that we’re able to do something for our fans even if we can’t be there with them in person. After the AV Specialist finalizes the audio and video of our performance, this concert will be played twice within the community on their closed circuit TV.
We sure hope next time we’re back in Tempe at this community we’re able to share our passion for this music with our audience in person!